A 34-year-old Mutaru Mumuni Muqthar has been named AFRICAN OF THE YEAR award winner for 2017.
Former President of Botswana and chairperson of the award jury, Festus Mogae, said the young Mr. Muqthar was selected for his exemplary work on counter-terrorism, which led to de-radicalization of would-be extremists in Africa.
He said the seven-member jury noted with satisfaction the effectiveness of Mr. Muqthar’s engagement with dozens of would-be terrorists, including a 21-year-old who was dissuaded from joining ISIS in Syria.
The U.S. IT giant, Google, will increase the number of employees engaged in the detection of extremist content on its video-sharing service YouTube, as well as other materials violating the service’s rules, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said.
In June, Google announced additional measures to counter the spread of extremist data via YouTube.
The company voiced plans to widen the use of technologies to identify extremist- and terrorist-related videos, to attract more experts to its programme of identifying problematic videos, toughening the rules as for the content that did not clearly violate YouTube’s rules and to expand its role in struggle against radical movements.
Super Eagles star, Victor Moses, is on a five-man shortlist for the prestigious BBC African Footballer of the Year Award.
The BBC award nomination is coming on the heels of another one he received earlier this month for the African Footballer of the Year award, organised by CAF, the continent’s football governing body.
Moses made the shortlist for the BBC prize following a fantastic year at Chelsea in which he helped the Blues win the Premier League title and reach the FA Cup final, all from the new position of right wing-back.
On the international stage, Moses has been a key player for the Super Eagles who emerged as the first African team to qualify for next summer’s World Cup in Russia.
The ECOWAS Court of Justice has ordered the Nigerian government to pay $75, 000 to the family of a deceased cadet of the Nigerian army, Elshadai Kwasu, for alleged violation of the deceased right to life.
The deceased, a 19-year-old military cadet, died during the conduct of a waterman-ship training in April 2015.
Following his death, the late cadet’s father, Danladi Kwasu, approached the court to demand the invocation of relevant sections of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights on the grounds of alleged violation of his child’s right to life.
Americans notched solid financial gains in 2016 for a second straight year as household incomes rose, poverty fell and fewer people went without health insurance, signaling an end to the stagnation that had lingered since the Great Recession.
The median U.S. household income climbed 3.2% to $59,039, the Census Bureau said Tuesday. That followed growth of 5.2% in 2015, the largest on records dating to 1968. The combined increase over the past two years is the biggest such rise since the 1960s.
“Real median household income has finally completed its nine-year slog of digging out of the ditch,” says IHS Markit economist Chris Christopher.
North Korea’s state-run broadcaster said Sunday the country had successfully conducted a test of a hydrogen bomb that can be loaded onto its new intercontinental ballistic missiles.
The nuclear test was estimated to have a strength of 100 kilotons, according to South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency, citing South Korean lawmaker Kim Young-woo, chief of the parliament’s defense committee.
That yield would be five-to-10 times more powerful than North Korea’s previous test in 2016 — and about five times the power of the bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, in World War II.
There was no immediate confirmation outside North Korea that the test involved a hydrogen bomb, or that it could be loaded onto a missile.
the United States and other experts in the West.
The latest test, however, appears to mark a significant step forward in the North’s quest for a viable nuclear missile capable of striking anywhere in the United States.
For the first time, scientists working in a U.S. lab have used gene editing to correct a disease-causing mutation in viable human embryos, according to scientific paper published Wednesday.
The work, reported in Nature, could be a step toward genetically modified babies. But the altered embryos created in the study were quickly destroyed and never intended to be implanted in a woman — a step that would be illegal under current regulations in the United States and many other countries.
Still, the experiment moves the idea of tinkering with genes before birth “from future fantasy to the world of possibility,” said Peter Braude, an emeritus professor of obstetrics and gynecology at King’s College London.
Safety and ethical questions remain, Braude and other experts not involved in the research said. And the technique has not been perfected enough to warrant moving forward.
“We still have room to improve,” said Shoukhrat Mitalipov, a researcher at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), Portland and lead author of the paper.
Here’s what Mitalipov and his colleagues, including scientists in the United States, South Korea and China, did: