100 migrants missing two days after boat sank off Libya

 

The UN Migration Agency on Friday said 100 migrants were still missing, two days after their ship sunk off the Libyan coast.

“Forty others who were aboard were rescued and seven others are known to have lost their lives,” the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) added in a tweet.

The ship sank Wednesday off the eastern port of Zuwarah – a well-known migrant smuggling hub – after setting out on Sept. 15.

“Survivors said 130 people had been on board when the boat left the Libyan coastal town of Sabratha,” Ayoub Qasim, the spokesman for the Libyan navy forces, said.

Mr. Qasim told journalists that the incident resulted from a malfunction Continue reading “100 migrants missing two days after boat sank off Libya”

ICC issues warrant for Libyan army commander’s arrest

Judges at the International Criminal Court, ICC, on Tuesday issued an arrest warrant for Mahmoud al-Werfalli, a Libyan National Army (LNA) Commander accused of allegedly executing dozens of prisoners.

Prosecutors at the world’s permanent war crimes court are seeking Mr. al-Werfalli’s hand-over to face charges of murder during the armed conflict in Libya.

According to the ICC, Mr. al-Werfalli “is alleged to have directly committed and to have ordered the commission of murder as a war crime” during seven incidents, involving 33 persons in June and July 2017 in and near Benghazi.

Continue reading “ICC issues warrant for Libyan army commander’s arrest”