The Trump administration unveiled new restrictions on travel to the United States from eight countries, including North Korea and Venezuela, after its ban on visitors from six Muslim-majority countries expired Sunday.
The new restrictions, to be phased in, apply to foreign nationals from countries the administration says have refused to share information on terrorism, among other issues, with the U.S. government. It also applies to nations that haven’t taken necessary security precautions, administration officials said.
The expiring ban bars citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen who lack a “credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States” from entering the U.S.
The new order drops Sudan from the list — administration officials said it was cooperating with both monitoring security and sharing information with the U.S. government — but adds three new countries: Chad, North Korea and Venezuela.
Continue reading “Trump signs new proclamation suspending travel from 8 countries, including North Korea and Venezuela”
An Ivy League graduate and national dance champion from North Dakota was crowned Miss America on Sunday, becoming the first contestant from the state to win the nearly 100-year-old contest.
Cara Mund, from Bismarck, N.D., a graduate of Brown University in Rhode Island, who has been accepted to Notre Dame’s law school, trained for several summers with the world-famous Rockettes.
Mund, 23, was one of 51 contestants in the pageant, representing the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
Mund, who adopted the Make-a-Wish foundation which benefits children with life-threatening conditions as her platform for the competition, performed a jazz dance to “The Way You Make Me Feel” for Continue reading “Ivy League graduate and dance champion crowned Miss America”
North Korea’s state-run broadcaster said Sunday the country had successfully conducted a test of a hydrogen bomb that can be loaded onto its new intercontinental ballistic missiles.
The nuclear test was estimated to have a strength of 100 kilotons, according to South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency, citing South Korean lawmaker Kim Young-woo, chief of the parliament’s defense committee.
That yield would be five-to-10 times more powerful than North Korea’s previous test in 2016 — and about five times the power of the bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, in World War II.
There was no immediate confirmation outside North Korea that the test involved a hydrogen bomb, or that it could be loaded onto a missile.
the United States and other experts in the West.
The latest test, however, appears to mark a significant step forward in the North’s quest for a viable nuclear missile capable of striking anywhere in the United States.
Continue reading “President Trump says North Korea’s test of a hydrogen bomb is “very hostile and dangerous to the United States”
Valerie Plame Wilson’s on a mission to get President Trump off Twitter.
By buying it, of course.
Wilson — best known for being revealed as a CIA operative because of a leak during the George W. Bush administration — has started a GoFundMe page to buy a controlling interest in Twitter, in order to delete the president’s account. The company is currently worth nearly $12 billion, with its shares going for around $16.
“Donald Trump has done a lot of horrible things on Twitter. From emboldening white supremacists to promoting violence against journalists, his tweets damage the country and put people in harm’s way,” Wilson wrote on the campaign’s page “But threatening actual Continue reading “Valerie Plame Wilson wants to buy Twitter and ban President Trump”
Staff of International Organisation for Migration, IOM, have in the past three days found more survivors, as well as the remains of more victims from last week’s tragic incidents.
On August 9 and 10, 280 migrants headed toward the Gulf countries were forced from two boats off the coast of Yemen’s Shabwa Governorate and drowned.
The UN migration agency said on August 9, when 120 people were forced from a boat, that the remains of 29 individuals (12 Ethiopian males, 12 Ethiopian females and five Somali males) were found by IOM staff on the same day.
“The number of people still missing has reduced from 22 to six, all of whom are Ethiopian males. Through contact or from other survivors’ r Continue reading “More survivors and remains of drowned African migrants found in yemen sea”