A 34-year-old Mutaru Mumuni Muqthar has been named AFRICAN OF THE YEAR award winner for 2017.
Former President of Botswana and chairperson of the award jury, Festus Mogae, said the young Mr. Muqthar was selected for his exemplary work on counter-terrorism, which led to de-radicalization of would-be extremists in Africa.
He said the seven-member jury noted with satisfaction the effectiveness of Mr. Muqthar’s engagement with dozens of would-be terrorists, including a 21-year-old who was dissuaded from joining ISIS in Syria.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has said it would grant financial subsidy of $500,000 to all five African representatives at the forthcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup.
The continental football governing body said the decision was taken by its Executive Committee and other stakeholders on the sidelines of the 2018 FIFA World Cup draws in Moscow on Friday.
“At its last meeting held on Nov. 16 in Rabat, Morocco the CAF Executive Committee decided to set up an ad hoc committee chaired by the CAF First Vice President, Kwesi Nyantakyi,” the continental football body said in a statement on Friday.
Super Eagles star, Victor Moses, is on a five-man shortlist for the prestigious BBC African Footballer of the Year Award.
The BBC award nomination is coming on the heels of another one he received earlier this month for the African Footballer of the Year award, organised by CAF, the continent’s football governing body.
Moses made the shortlist for the BBC prize following a fantastic year at Chelsea in which he helped the Blues win the Premier League title and reach the FA Cup final, all from the new position of right wing-back.
On the international stage, Moses has been a key player for the Super Eagles who emerged as the first African team to qualify for next summer’s World Cup in Russia.
Staff of International Organisation for Migration, IOM, have in the past three days found more survivors, as well as the remains of more victims from last week’s tragic incidents.
On August 9 and 10, 280 migrants headed toward the Gulf countries were forced from two boats off the coast of Yemen’s Shabwa Governorate and drowned.
The UN migration agency said on August 9, when 120 people were forced from a boat, that the remains of 29 individuals (12 Ethiopian males, 12 Ethiopian females and five Somali males) were found by IOM staff on the same day.